Understanding Prototype – Generally known prototype is a basic working model as software development.
However, there are some things that the general public may not know about prototypes. So what does prototype mean?
If you want to do a prototype process that has many versions in the discussion so that the notion of prototype becomes a conversation.
So you want to know more? So, what is the meaning of the prototype?
- 1 Definition of Prototype is as follows
- 2 Prototype Advantages and Disadvantages
Definition of Prototype is as follows
You need to know that the notion of a prototype is a system design process by forming examples and standard sizes that you will work on later. If you use the prototype method, the developers and customers will interact with each other until the best results come out.
You must know that the key to prototyping is that the process runs smoothly according to needs with some software engineered with quality. In addition, there is a step to make a prototype, including a request, this is based on the customer.
Can build a prototype system for initial needs, provide freedom in the use of prototypes, implement suggested changes, let customers try and then apply changes until satisfied.
Customers can also design the final system, where developers and customers have agreed with the prototype. There are several reasons why you need to do prototyping and expand thinking in design.
Among them, team members can communicate better, have developer support in choosing a backup design, you have new ideas and then apply them, evaluate in prototype design.
Prototype Advantages and Disadvantages
In addition, customers get a better feel than documents or writing. Then what are the advantages and disadvantages of prototyping? Of course there is! Especially if you are in charge.
That is, you are the one who carries out this task to potential customers asking for the prototype offer. Just like any other profession, this profession also has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of Prototype
- Customers know what is needed as well as expected.
- Has an easier determination of needs.
- Short time.
- Developers get input from customers when prototyping.
- Once the project is complete, you as a developer become a subscriber.
- Get help in reducing overall development costs.
- Get satisfaction levels from old and new customers.
- Developers are becoming faster about the tools that will be needed in the future.
- Shorten development time.
Lack of Prototype
- Can rule out alternatives to problem solving.
- Not always the prototype that has been made can be adjusted easily.
- In brief analysis and design processing.
Examples of this prototype understanding can be said to be very much developed, so it is necessary to know. Especially for those of you who want to understand it. One example of a prototype is as follows:
- Paper prototype
This paper prototype is very effective in conveying general ideas to customers, regarding all interests and the development team at the beginning of the prototype process.
The problem is that there is less refinement depending on customer demand and very limited capacity. This paper prototype is very simple, so there are no absolute provisions.
- Low-fidelity prototype
In a low-fidelity prototype, the user uses this as an interaction with the person responsible for creating the image and then selecting the file system. So the results, according to the wishes of the client.
In addition, there are several obstacles, namely, in the visual system that cannot be presented in the depiction of the visual elements. so it will feel less.
- High-fidelity prototype
From the previous two examples, the high-fidelity prototype is very different and has an effort from the beginning, utilizing it in the future and producing better creations.
- ICT e-learning (prototype of goods and services).
- Module (prototype of goods and services).
- Entrepreneurial product material (prototype of goods and services).
- RRP curriculum 2013 (prototype of goods and services).
- The design of the product and the selection of the economic process (prototype of goods and services).
Prototype Methods and Stages
You should know this prototype method too. Before going to the next stage, you first understand the meaning of the prototype in the method. The prototype method is a method of rapid development.
At the same time testing a model with an iterative process well. Can solve a problem that is misunderstood, you as a developer and a customer with the concept of a working model.
In this concept raises the distinctive characteristics of developers, users and customers in the prototype. From the initial development process to the end. In the prototype method there are stages as supporters.
What are the stages? some steps of the prototype method are:
- Doing needs gathering.
- Prototype development process.
- Carry out the evaluation process in the prototype.
- Make the system code into a prototype.
- There is a system test on the prototype.
- Evaluate the system after testing.
- Finally, the use of the prototype system to the customer will function as it should.
A. The advantages of the prototype method:
- Doing the application is easy because it is expected that the customer previously saw the initial picture of the prototype.
- Have customers who are active in system development.
- There is good communication between customers and developers.
- Has time savings in prototype development systems.
- The developers have worked well to determine the needs of the customer.
B. Disadvantages of the prototype method:
- The relationship of the customer with the computer cannot be described as a good design technique when looking at the beginning of the prototype.
- Customers cannot see the software with the overall quality of the software and not think about its maintenance for a long time.
- Some developers want to work faster than the customer wants so they implement the simplest algorithms and programming languages.
So that’s the discussion this time about the meaning of prototype. As we already know, a prototype is a system that is used as an example in doing a job, so this will facilitate the work.
Hopefully with this article, it can help Tedas friends to be able to work in the prototype field.